Curiosity Did NOT Kill the Cat: Conspiracy

The yellow banner was really flapping in the breeze.  The temperature was perfect.  It would have been hard to find a more perfect weather moment any where on the planet.  Ruben was happy in his stroller.  I was happy to push him out and about around the museum while Thania and the boys were checking out the fascinating science exhibits.

Our limited time in the U.S. means that we squeeze museum visits in between visiting friends, praying with folks, begging for support for our missionary endeavors, and traveling.  It's an exciting life, but not one that many people would embrace.  This was a moment of peace--a quiet walk with my tiny son.

My eyes flashed back to the yellow flag.  "Long live curiosity" it exclaimed in definitive black letters.  The yellow really did work to draw in my attention.  I began to muse about all of the times that curiosity has gotten the best of me.  I remember questioning one of my "famous" seminary professors who was a renown expert in prophecy.  His logic on one particular and seemingly minor point just didn't seem too logical to me.  He snapped.  He even cussed.  I giggled.  At lunch, Billy Jack, the guy who sat next to me brought it up.  "You made the good doctor cuss," he exclaimed.  We both laughed really hard.

I remembered back to one of my favorite students in my Bible college days.  Jeremiah was curious about everything.  He had no problem questioning authority.  As a matter of fact, you could say that he could be the living, breathing mascot for the yellow banner.  He is "long live curiosity" wrapped up in a person.  Of course, it wasn't long until the proverbial "they" wanted to kick him out.   He was too curious, too different, too expressive, and he had too many questions.  One professor even exclaimed that "he doesn't seem to care what we think!"  Bwahahahahahahahahahahah.

I couldn't help but laugh.

Neither Jeremiah nor myself were questioning the tenets of the Christian faith, but we were curious.  I could give a million more examples, but you've already got the point.  And, as it's been said by others "curiosity didn't kill the cat--conformity did."  When we stop to ask how we got to this conclusion or how we reached this point not everyone will be glad we asked the question.  When we respectfully challenge another person's assumptions there will be angry emotional responses.

The ideal seminary world is nothing compared to the nearly impossible world of ministry.  When you challenge the philosophies and beliefs of those around you things can get ugly pretty quickly.  Not everyone will appreciate your appetite for truth and consistent argumentation.  Biblical questioning and confrontation aren't appreciated much in today's church.

Peter has some wonderful advice for us in 1 Peter 3:

13Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? 14But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED, 15but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame. 17For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong. 18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; (NASB)

I'm off to work on my sermon for this Sunday.  The Lord willing I'll be preaching at Jeremiah's amazing church.  Dozens of other curious followers of Jesus will be there becoming more and more curious.  "Long live curiosity!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberated from my Fear of Clowns!

Savior of the Useless